journeys

Monday, April 30, 2007

Budapest, Hungary
April 29th 2007

I can't get over just how nice people here are. On the train I asked a teenager about how to get Metro tickets and what one calls a booklet of tickets in Hungarian. He spoke German and was helping me out when another guy showed up (This is all in the train) and said that he was with the tourist office and he spoke english. He suggested I either take a taxi or the Metro to the hostel and gave me directions with the Metro. At the train station I saw him again. This time he was off work and on his way home and he helped haul my huge suitcase down the stairs to the Metro, explained all the ticket options available and helped me buy a monthly ticket. And then get my suitcases on the Metro. He was indeed wonderful. Apparently he is a philosohy student and had just spent 3 months in India recently so we had a lot to talk about. I had to change Metro's so I said goodbye to him. And again had to haul my suitcases.. but each time I had someone stop and help me carry them up or down the steps. One I reached the street the Hostel is on, I could not locate it and my cell phone did not work. I stopped and asked someone for directions and she called the Hostal using her phone and helped me with the directions. At the hostal after spending 15 min checking in and I was leaving for Dinner, I had a group of people who were staying here invite me to join them for dinner. Amazing! I really love the people here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home