journeys

Monday, April 09, 2007

Freiburg, Germany
March 24th, 2007


We had an excursion today with SIT (my language school) to Freiburg, a university town on the southern tip of the Black Forest that is considered to be the sunniest city in Germany. We drove down from Tübingen through the Black Forest to Freiburg. Unfortunately the sunny city was not sunny at all. In fact it was cold and it rained all day. A tour guide in Berlin had once mentioned that statistics showed that it usually rains on weekends in Berlin. I think the same is true for all of Germany. So far, except for Heidelburg, all the rest of my travels in Germany had cold weather and rainfall.

The drive through the Black Forest was spectacular. I do wish that the bus had cleaner windows as it was hard to appreciate the full beauty of the landscape through the dusty dark windows. Perhaps sometime in the summer I will be able to retrace this journey.

In Freiburg, we had a short city tour in the rain, which ended in front of the impressive large cathedral (Muenster unserer lieben Frau) in the city center. I climbed to the top of the tower, but that area was under renovation so we were not able to get a good view outside. So when all else fails, one thing always works out.. the restaurants, cafes and bars. I had lunch at a real nice Italian restaurant, and then joined the other group from my class who were at an Irish pub. In a way it was good, as I was able to watch the cricket world cup match between Australia and South Africa at the pub. It has been so long since I have seen cricket, I really enjoyed. Of course the other people in my group dint seem to care too much about it, and not being able to understand how people can enjoy watching a game that lasts for 8hrs. Tough! They don’t know what they are missing out on. This match was in St Kitts in the Caribbean, and my friend Spencer was actually at the stadium watching the match live. Lucky guy! Hope you enjoyed the match Spencer :)

At 5pm, it was time to drive back to Tübingen. It was a two-hour ride. Upon reaching Tübingen, I went out with Cecilia and Jeff to Schoss Café for wine and a game of Carcassone. The rest of the group joined us an hour later to celebrate our last Saturday night in Tübingen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home