journeys

Friday, December 29, 2006

Sinaia, Romania


So I heard that if I really wish to experience Romania, I ought to travel away from Bucharest, to the mountains. They have some beautiful mountain resorts and gorgeous countrysides. I really would like to go to Brasov, however I have too much luggage to be hauling around, so I need to keep my travels to a minimum. - Hey! Before you roll your eyes and think "Women!", let me tell you that it is not easy to pack 8 months (including three seasons) of clothes in one suitcase!

I read about Sinaia in the `Rough Guide` book for Romania and it sounded like a nice place. It is 1.5hrs away from Bucharest by train, an easy day trip. It was cold, and I saw my first snow of the season in Sinaia. It is a beautiful town, albiet a bit touristy. Still, I enjoyed seeing the 17th century Sinaia Monastary and the Peles Castle which was the summer residence of King Carol I, the first king of Romania. We were told that this was the first castle in Europe to have both electricity and central heating. Interesting!

Peles Castle



Outside the old chapel in the Monastary grounds

There were ski lifts one could take from there to the mountains. I had planned to take a hiking trail to some caves, but when I got there I learned that all trails are closed during the winter. That was a little disappointing. So instead, I had a late lunch at an Italian restaurant, later walked around the city, and then spent some time at a pub till it was time to take the train back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home