journeys

Monday, April 16, 2007



Tübingen, Germany
March 31st 2007


My last day in Tübingen. The last three months really flew by. I guess I am happy to be moving to a new place, a bigger city, but I am definitely going to miss a few things here in Tübingen. First, my host family who I was staying with, Albert and Monika Petersen and their daughter Hanna and her boyfriend Marcos. We have spent many evenings together cooking, talking about and my day at school, discussing about German social system and politics etc and playing card or board games. Intially we played a lot of card games like 6 Nimmt and Canasta, but one day Marcos got Carcassone (a board game) and ever since then I have been hooked. So much so that the Petersens bought me my own Carcassone set. On my last day Hanna and Marcos surprised me with yet another extension of Carcassone: The River set. That extension is apparently a limited edition and is not made anymore. However you can print the tile pieces online, order blank tiles from the game company and make it yourself. I know you all think I am crazy to be gushing so much about this game, but seriously if you haven’t played it, you ought to try it. Another game I enjoy is the Siedler von Catan (Settlers from Catan). Hmm, I guess I got sidetracked a bit. Well going on to the other things I will miss in Tübingen, my salsa class at Adriana’s, my teachers in Tübingen namely Karen, Frauke and Ursula. (Photo 1: Dawoo, Jeff Dawson, Jeff Poquette, Brandi and Adam in class). I really enjoyed most of my classes. Especially Karen’s. She taught us the “intensive German” which was the last class of the day, and by then all of us used to be brain dead and not really wish to study and listen to more German. But she always found a way to arouse our interest. Actually we used to come up with crazy ideas of things to do and most of the times she actually agreed with us and let us do it. For example if the day was beautiful we asked her if we could have class outdoors, so we ended up going to a coffee shop, or having class with lunch at some restaurant, or playing Carcassone in class and talking in German, or going to her house for lunch and cooking lunch together (Photo 2: Jeff, Karen and Brandi - at Karen's house for lunch). Now Tübingen itself is a beautiful town, however it is a really small town. After about a month the charm wore out. I guess it would be a nice place to live, but when you have only 4 months to stay in Germany, you don’t want to spend 3 months in Tübingen. Anyways I may take back what I just said.. who knows if Köln is not all that nice as I expected (though I seriously doubt it)). In any case I had a great experience here in Tübingen, and made some good friends.





Albert, Monika, Hanna and Marcos

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home