journeys

Friday, December 05, 2008

Has it been a week already?

I can’t believe how time just flew by – I now only have another week left in Buenos Aires. So far my trip has been just wonderful.

After getting off on a whirlwind start with lessons and Milonga’s, I finally slowed down a little bit. Partly because I was tired and partly because I got a cold due to getting wet in the rain, and the weather change here the last few days.

On Tuesday, I had nothing scheduled that morning so I had the luxury to wake up late. In the afternoon, I went to La Ideal for a lesson by Eduardo Saucedo. All – Louie, Paula, Armando and Pat told me not to miss this lesson, and they were right – It was really good. I got to learn some new styling and figures, plus get to practice a bit.

After the lessons, I made my way to Comme il faut finally. The shop definitely lived up to its name. I was surprised that they did not have any shoes on display. Instead the sales staff just asked for you size and they brought out shoe after shoe for you to try on. After trying some 30 pairs, each one spectacularly gorgeous… I settled on one. Yes, only one – if I had my way, I’d get them all, but I don’t dance as much to justify it. I still have other places to visit so I may buy more shoes elsewhere too…

That evening, I finally met Maria Tango, albeit briefly. I was getting ready to go to the Milonga at Porteno y Bailarena with the guests at the house and Nora (Maria’s friend). The milonga was fabulous. Again, I got to dance a lot – I was very happy. It was a late night again. I was home at 3:45am – and tired.

The next day I had lessons scheduled with Andrea. I wanted her to teach me some adornments and embellishments a woman can add to the dance. After taking the class though, I realized I still have to get my basics more solid before I add these adornments. I was not able to pick them up as fast. I know I need to take it slow and that it has only been four months that I have been dancing, but going to the milongas and seeing other women dance so beautifully with such style and grace and sensuality, I wish to emulate them as much as I can. But I can’t – At least not yet.

Later, I went with Federico to a man who makes hand made customized tango shoes. I had seen his work before as Paula had gotten three pairs made by him while she was here and I know he was good. After spending an hour at his shop I finally decided on a design and colors for my shoe – It is going to be black and silver, with a silver 8cm heel. I hope it turns out well, as the design was kind of intricate. Well, I will know soon.

Besides my class and getting my shoes ordered, I did nothing else. I stayed at home, rested, socialized with the other guests staying at the house. At 7pm, I had a group lesson (which turned out to be a private lesson as I was the only one present) with a young couple Carlos and Carlita. They were teaching for the first time at the casa, and I liked their style and dancing. With two people, I could dance with Carlos and Carlita could comment and help me improve on my steps. It was good. They will take lessons every Wednesday evening – I liked them and will take the lesson again next week.

Later at night, Maria had arranged for a BBQ at the house – a welcome party for all of us. The party was fun – Good food, company and conversations. Maria had invited her friends Nora, Susanna and Luis as well. When I told Susanna I was Luigi’s (that’s what Louis, my teacher is fondly known as here in BA) student, she said that she is in love with him :) Both Maria and Susanna had wonderful things to say about him. I am not surprised – he is indeed a wonderful person. (Pic ture 1: from left to right Luis Argentina), Zeynep (Turkey), Michelle & Ann (Canada), Elizabeth (France), Federico, Maria, Susanna (Argentina), Beatrice (France), Ingrid (Austria), Nora (Argentina), Dietr (Germany) - Quite the United Nations)

That day, surprise surprise – I did not go to a Milonga. I went to bed after the BBQ and got my much needed rest. I woke up the next day feeling fresh and full of energy to start dancing again.

My day started with a lesson from Luis – My second one so far with him. I like him – he is a good teacher. (Picture 2: With Luis) Really focuses on the techniques. Today I learned some styling with ochos and general feedback and comments on improving various aspects of my dancing. After the lesson – I decided to finally do some sightseeing.

Equipped with my map and guide book, I headed to the city center. I took the Subte (the subway) and went to Plaza de Mayo. (Picture 3: Casa Rosara - Argentina's equivalent to the white house). The subte was extremely crowded. It reminded me of traveling in the local trains of Bombay during peak hours. It was just the same feeling. In general, a lot about this city reminds me of Bombay. The buildings, the streets, the crazy driving, the black and yellow taxis… I don’t need to feel homesick – this really feels like home. I spent a few hours at the city center, walking around, enjoying the sights, the people and the weather.

This evening, I again went with the group from the house with maria to a Milonga called Chique (at San Jose 224). This was more traditional and had a lot less tourists than some of the other places I have visited. Primarily Portenos in this place. (Picture 4: Me, Ingrid, Zeynep, Maria, Susanna and Elizabeth at Chique)

A funny story Maria said later – A lot of (married) men come to the Milongas by themselves (typically when their wives are working) and do not tell their wives about it. On Saturday, it is typically a couples night and these same men will come with their wives to the Milonga and pretend they do not know the other women (even though they have danced with them every other day of the week).

After Chique, a few of us went to Villa Malcom. There was a lesson on Tango Nuevo. The lesson was really fantastic. Again, I learned a lot more adornments – I really need to now practice all of this to make sure I remember it all when I go back home. After the class, I stayed for the Milonga for a little bit. Tonight’s milonga was hosted by a group called Soho Tango and it was a very classy ambience they set up – with candles and torches and red table cloths – a world of a difference from the college cafeteria look I had seen at the same place a few days back. Nevertheless, the dancing on both of the nights was spectacular. Tonight, I am calling it a night quite early. I left the place at 12:30pm – yes that is early by Buenos Aires standards. I have to wake up early tomorrow – I am going to be the tourist in the morning and go to La Boca – the area where tango originated.

2 Comments:

Blogger Adrian said...

I am so impressed on the challenge that you have taken that I myself started thinking of getting back into the dance moves. Good luck and keep us posted. Put some pictures as well

1:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you bought your first pair of tango shoes. I am so happy for you, it truly is a tango experiance all its own. Since you are taking a lot of lessons your body needs a lot of rest to be ready and alert, so try to get to bed by l pm. My love to you and everyone in the house.

1:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home