journeys

Friday, December 05, 2008

La Boca and a Milonga

Today, I feel rested. Louie, I took your advice of going to bed early so I will feel energized for dancing the next day. I woke up early (ok, at 9:30am.. but that is early by my standards here) and headed over to La Boca – an Italian neighborhood - (named because of its location at the mouth – boca – of the river Riachuelo and was the main port in the earlier days). It was here that the Italian immigrants first landed and made their home.

The area of El Caminito (Picture 1) is supposedly the birth place of Tango. It is said, Tango was invented in the brothels of La Boca. I enjoyed being a tourist for the day … clicking pictures happily of the cheery, colorful houses and street side performers dancing tango and some bands playing the Bandoneon (the soul behind the music of Tango- Picture 2). I ate lunch at La Perla, (a former brothel turned café - Picture 3) and soaked in the music, the bustling of the people around me. All in all a fun day of sightseeing and souvenir shopping. (more pictures of La Boca at the end)

This evening at 6pm I went with Maria, Nora, Zeynep, Elizabeth and Ingrid to a Milonga at Ideal. Unlike the last time, today was a good evening – a lot of dancers, and most of them locals. Also this time, I did not slip and fall. Instead, I think I danced my best so far. I barely sat through maybe two tandas – and danced the rest – for two hours. The last four tandas I danced were very good – And I am not just saying it, the Portenos themselves said that to me. Each of them told me “muy bien” at the end of each song. And that I dance very well. This was before I told them that I am a “principiante” (a beginner). I felt their leads well, and did ochos, ocho cortaro, ganchos, enganche, boleos, and other figures that I had not done before – Yes, I faltered at a couple of steps but between my partners and I, we covered it pretty well. I think the positive feedback kept making me dance better and better.

We left around 9:00pm and headed back to the Casa. Zeynep was planning on going to Villa Malcom again tonight and I told her I would join her. But now that I am at home, and back to reality – I realize I have two classes tomorrow afternoon… one with Luis and another with Carina and Carlos and I want to be alert and rested for the classes. I know if I go out at 11pm, I will not be back until 4 or 5pm and that is not a good idea. So now it is 11:30pm and I am getting ready to call it a night. After all, tomorrow is another day.







3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bravo kavita!!! I'm glad you wend to bed earlier..it can get CRAZY!

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a lovely day today visiting La Boca the birth place of the tango. One can only imagine how the immigrants felt arriving there for the first time and leaving there for the last time. Try and put those feelings in your tango movements.

Sweet tango dreams tanguera.......

12:55 AM  
Blogger Kavita said...

I know.. it is difficult to go to bed early .. especially when you know at most of the milongas the fun is just beginning. Besides now with just one week left, I feel I need to pack in as much milongas as possible... :)

5:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home